How to Open an ETA

  • Choose an ETA provider
  • Contact that provider to open an ETA account
  • Sign up for direct deposit

Choose an ETA provider

Use this site to find financial institutions that offer the ETA account. Not all banks, savings and loans or credit unions offer the ETA.

Contact that provider to open an ETA account. You may need:

  • A photo ID such as a driver's license or state identification card that shows your current name and address.
  • Your Social Security number (card or award letter).
  • Federal Claim number.
  • Your uncashed Federal check(s). Your check contains most of the information to set up the type of account that is right for you.

Not all providers require you to visit their branches. Some will allow you to sign up by phone or web. Follow the instructions for the provider you have chosen.

Sign up for direct deposit

Ask your ETA provider to set up the direct deposit of your federal benefit into your new ETA account.

If your provider cannot assist you with direct deposit, please contact the Go Direct® Helpline at (800) 333-1795 to sign up for direct deposit.

For direct deposit sign up you will need:

  • 9-digit bank routing number
  • Account number
  • 12-digit federal benefit check number or your claim number
  • Dollar amount of your most recent benefit check
  • Social Security number of the benefit recipient(s)

Click here to find an ETA provider.